Professor and Director
EducationPhD in Economics, University of California at Riverside, 1995
OfficeRoom No. 203
Office telephone+91 33 2321 3120/21 (Extension No. 34)
Areas of interest:
Welfare economics, microeconomic issues in development economics, human development, health economics
View full CV
• Living Arrangement and Capability Deprivation of the Disabled in India
(jointly with Subrata Mukherjee), Occasional Paper 42, November 2013.
• Revelaed Allocation Priorities in the Budget, Economic and Political Weekly, 30 March 2013.
• Human Development: How not to Interpret Change, Economic and Political Weekly, 17 December 2011.
• Female Work Participation and Gender Differential in Earnings in West Bengal (jointly with Indrani Chakraborty), Journal of Quantitative Economics, Vol 8(2), July, 2010.
• Some Normatively Relevant Aspects of Inter-State and Intra-State Disparities, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol XLIV (26 & 27), pp 179-184, 2009.
• In Search of Constitutive Plurality in Development Discourse, Contemporary Issues and Ideas in Social Sciences, August, 2008.
• On the Mean of Squared Deprivation Gaps (jointly with Prasanta K. Pattanaik and Yongsheng Xu), Economic Theory, Vol 34(1), January, 2008.
• Kerala’s Changing Development Narratives, Economic and Political Weekly, February 5, 2005.
• Environmental Costs and their Impact on the Net Present Value of a Hydroelectric Project in Kerala, India (jointly with V. Santhakumar), Environment and Development Economics, Vol 8, 2003.
• Making Inter-Country Comparison of Life Expectancy Inequality Sensitive (jointly with U. S. Mishra), Social Indicators Research, Vol. 64, 2003.
Chapters in Books/Reports
• Reckoning Inequality in Education in India, Development, Equity and Poverty: Essays in Honour of Azizur Rahman Khan, Macmillan, 2010.
• The Rhetoric of Disagreement in Reform Debates, in Jos Mooij (ed.) The Politics of Economic Reforms in India, Sage, New Delhi, 2005.
• The Irrelevance of Methodology and the Art of the Possible: Reading Sen and Hirschman, in Ananta Kumar Giri (ed.) Creative Social Research: Rethinking Theories and Methods, Lexington Books, Maryland, 2004.
Teachers Training in West Bengal: Bridging the Supply-Demand Gap
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Department of School Education, Government of West Bengal; Duration: 2011.
Mid-Term Appraisal of the 11th Five year Plan of Tripura
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Planning Commission, Government of India; Duration: 2010.
MDG-Based Poverty Reduction Strategy for West Bengal
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: UNDP and Planning Commission, India; Duration: 2009.
Women, Work, Education, and Disparities
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, Berlin; Duration: 2008.
Birbhum District Human Development Report
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Development and Planning Department, Government of West Bengal; Duration: 2008.
An Evaluation Study on Advocacy of Safe Motherhood under Community Health Care Monitoring Initiative
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Department of Panchayats and Rural Development, Government of West Bengal; Duration: 2007.
Allocation and Utilization of Resources for Social Sector Programmes in Purulia District
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: UNICEF, Kolkata; Duration: 2007.
An Assessment of In-Service Teachers’ Training Programmes in Five Districts of West Bengal
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: State Project Office of West Bengal District Primary Education Programme; Duration2005.
SEMINAR/ CONFERENCE/ LECTURE
• Social Protection Policies in South Asia at the Third Ministerial Meeting of the UNESCO Forum of Ministers in Charge of Social Development from South Asia, held in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and commissioned jointly by UNESCO and ICSSR (February 20-22, 2011).
• Inequality in Non-Income Dimensions and Resource Allocation Rules at the Annual Conference of Human Development and Capability Association at Amman, Jordan (September 21-23, 2010).
• Inequality in Non-Income Dimensions at the Conference on Employment, Growth, and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries, in Honor of Professor Azizur Rahman Khan, University of Masschusetts at Amherst, USA (March 27-28, 2009).